This building dates back to 1860 and has four floors and an interior courtyard. It was built to replace the old town hall, which was built in 1732 on a site where today stands a guesthouse.
The building is found in the Plaza de la Constitución and has witnessed many chapters of the town's history. It was most recently renovated in 2010 but has preserved its traditional mortar and stone façade.
The clock at the top of the building formerly belonged to the old porcelain and glass factory, and the inner workings of the clock are currently on display in the Casa de la Cultura (The House of Culture).
Every year, a loud shot is fired from one of the balconies to mark the beginning of the annual fiestas in the name of the Virgin of Candelaria and Saint Blaise, which are the 2nd and 3rd of February, respectively. Long ago, the traditional bull runs were presided over from here too.
On the front of the building, you will see a plaque recognising the town as a "Pueblo de la Tierra de Segovia" (Town of the Land of Segovia) and part of the 'Sexmo de Casarrubios'. A 'sexmo' was a medieval land division, similar to a hundred or a ward, and the Sexmo de Casarrubios formed part of the land belonging to the city of Segovia (La Comunidad de la Ciudad y Tierra de Segovia) until 1833 when many of the towns in this area were transferred to Madrid.
Directly below this plaque is a granite block from the quarry known as the "Cantera de Navalacuerda" in Peguerinos. This was a gift from the city of Segovia as a symbol of the town's Segovian roots, which date back to the 12th century.
In 1988, a stone like this was presented as a cultural and historic monument to each and every town that formerly belonged to a sexmo.
In 1628, Valdemorillo received the title of "Town excluded from the city of Segovia", something which has been commemorated for many years now during the September fiestas in the form of a street play performed by local residents.
Añadir un comentario